The manufacture of the ČZ branded chains in Strakonice dates back to 1929 when Jihočeská zbrojovka started production of the bicycles of the same brand. Over the time the manufacture has been expanded with the ČZ engine powered bicycles and motorcycles and production volume of the chains has increased hand in hand.

Post-war economy required expansion of the chains for the industrial application and chains for the car engines. Řetězy ČZ entered these branches successfully as well because experience gained from production of the high quality motorcycle chains was transposed to these branches as well. Production of the special chains for transport, supply, handling, and handling equipment came soon an important component of the ČZ industrial chains.


Improving the utility properties of the ČZ chains has been and is supported by the in-house R&D with test laboratories and material laboratories. Another strength of the company is in-house production of machines for automatic chain assembly that makes us to achieve the highest production quality level. A significant advantage is a production of all chain components in one single plant. This makes sure the production quality and production flexibility remain unchanged towards the requirements of the customers.

Over the last decades the production quality is supported by compliance with the regulations as set in the international standards ISO 9001, ISO/TS 16949, ISO 14001, and Safe Organization certificate.

The ČZ chains are great partner for the automotive engines; they reliably drive all motorcycle performance groups, and are application unlimited in the industrial area.


  • 1919: Incorporation of Jihočeská zbrojovka, joint stock company
  • 1929: Production of roller chains started
  • 1930s – 1940s: The organization focuses on production of the chains for bicycles, motorcycles, as well as production of the silent chains, timing chains, and industrial chains
  • 1950s: The first world-class successes of the ČZ sport motorcycles with the chains of the same name.
  • 1960s: Independent design office and R&D shop for R&D of the chains and assembly machines established. Since 1964, the ČZ chains have been sold worldwide through foreign trade organization MOTOKOV. JAWA and ČZ motorcycles, which use the ČZ chains, become world champions several times.
  • 1970s – 1980s: For rationalization and streamlining of the production processes, the automated machine assembly of the roller chains was implemented in the large extent.
  • 1990s: After 1990, independent ČZ Řetězy, s. r. o. was incorporated, now 100% owned by ČZ, a. s. Strong domestic and foreign network of the sellers was developed. New series of the motorcycle chains for modern motorcycles were developed. ČZ Řetězy, s. r. o. have been certified according to ISO 9001 and VDA 6.1.
  • 2000s–2010s: Development and production of the camshaft timing chains for modern automotive engines continues. Machine and SW equipment update occurs at a massive level. Quality management according to ISO/TS 16949, ISO 14001 certificates, and “Safe Organization” (ISO 18001) award have been obtained.